Monday, July 9, 2012

"I DON'T READ, Ma'am"

Last school year, one of my students told me "I don't read, ma'am". This statement was a shock to me. I couldn't believe a 12 year old could be blunt enough to tell her teacher this. I asked her why she doesn't read. Her response, "I just don't like it and I don't want to ma'am:" Well, at least I can say the student was polite and had manners.

Today, a five year old told me "I don't want to write. I don't write". This little boy is going to Kindergarten and can't write his name or any letters in the alphabet. He refuses to try. All he wants to do is make drawings for me. I have worked with him one-on-one and it still doesn't help. I am afraid for his future, especially if he hates schools and refuses to do any work at the age of 5.


Now, CW says "I don't want to". All kids say that once in a while. But, he has NEVER said "I don't want to read or write." In fact, sometimes when I am tired he still makes me read to him or practice writing his letters. Overall, he loves school and wants to continue to learn. He is excited about learning too. Getting an education is a message that has been installed in him since the day he was born. We work with him and reiterate the importance of an education every day. He knows that he is going to college. (His father has already programmed him to think that he is going to NC State). 


My question is: How do I get this five year old student excited about learning? I REFUSE to give up on him. He is only 5. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. The good-- great, actually-- news is that he wants to draw. Have you read Raising Confident Readers by Dr. J. Richard Gentry? I think he would suggest something like this: Have the child tell you about his picture, and then write down his exact words at the bottom of the page. In a perfect world, you would do
    "adult underwriting" below the child's attempt at writing (something that resembles letters, however crude, random, and seemingly unrelated to English), but as he's already five and doesn't write his own name, perhaps my suggestion would be a good start. Do encourage continued drawing, including loopy and jagged scribbling. You'll eventually recognize some letter-like forms and can even point them out to the child as you see his progress. Let him see an alphabet strip for comparison-- you might convince him he's already writing and just doesn't know it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!. I will begin implementing your suggestions ASAP. Also, thanks for the suggested reading.

    ReplyDelete