Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Swimming Disappointment

I can barely swim. In fact I didn't even learn to swim until I was 22. I know that if I had to swim for my life most likely I will die. I don't really like to get in pools or oceans for this reason.You may say that I am afraid of the water.


Because of my lack of experience swimming I have been adamant about CW learning to swim ASAP. Last year, we took a Mommy and Me class, Level 1 class, then Level 2. When he didn't pass Level 2, I decided to stop swimming lessons because I didn't think he was ready for it. Rather than trying to learn the techniques, he was splashing other kids with water, trying to play with the duck. Basically, everything he wasn't suppose to do.


This summer I decided it was time to try again. He is older and focuses a LITTLE BIT more. CW began swimming lessons about six weeks ago. These classes have been interesting. Sometimes he pays attention with no problems throughout the 30 minutes. Other times he is too busy trying to splash himself and the instructor because he thinks it is funny. Overall, his behavior has been better this time around.


He retook the Level 2 class and I had high hope s he would pass. But I was wrong. CW didn't even care today. He wanted to play in the water, especially with the noodles. CW failed because he couldn't float on his front or back for 5 seconds. Ironically, last year he was able to float on his front and only failed by one technique: floating on back. (Which wasn't a surprise because since he was born he hasn't liked being put on his back.)


So, now he has to take Level 2 for the THIRD time. I hope that he passes and moves on to Level 3. I hate seeing my child fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment