Friday, July 6, 2012

"SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I needed to vent after one of my 4 year old students told me to "SHUT UP" repeatedly. It was lunch time and I told the student he needed to wait until after lunch to eat his brownie. Little did I know that WW III was about to begin. The students hurries under the table and refuses to move. He won't listen to anyone and continues to say, "I want by brownie and I am not moving until I get it." As I try to get him to listen to reason he begins to shout "Shut up!, Shut up!, Shut up!" over and over again. Remind you this was in front of the entire class.

I was in dismay. I couldn't believe that a four year old could tell an adult to shut up repeatedly and didn't feel any remorse about it. After he calmed down he refused to apologize to me or his classmates. He didn't understand that he was being disrespectful and didn't understand why he was in trouble. So now I don't understand.

Are we setting a good example as parents? Are we teaching our children to be respectful of others, especially adults? Are we teaching our kids manners?


I think that CW is respectful of adults, especially his teachers. I know he is a mannerable young boy who knows never to say "shut up" to an adult. He has been told that, but I am not sure he will always listen. I am afraid of  how I would react if CW decided to tell an adult something so rude and disrespectful. I just hope I don't ever have that moment. I don't want my son's teacher or anyone else to tell me that my son was being disrespectful to adults and saying inappropriate comments.


From this incident I came to realization that WE ALL need to reinforce and reiterate the importance of respecting adults. I don't want CW's generation to become a generation of rude, inconsiderate human beings.

5 comments:

  1. I love it Shendrina!! A good perspective of teachers vs. students vs. our own children (not that we are against either LOL). Being a teacher makes you look at other perspectives both good and horrible :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So did you speak to the kid's parents? Was there an outcome?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spoke to his mom and she apologized for his behavior. He hasn't said anything like that since, but I can see there are moments when he wants to say something he shouldn't. Ironically, the second day of camp she asked me how he was doing and told her that he was doing fine. She gave me a look like she couldn't believe it. Same day he told me to shut up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good. It's good to hear the mother is taking ownership and trying to correct his behavior. I'm terrified to see how my girls will act outside of this house without us.

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is Shayla going to preschool next year?

    ReplyDelete