Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Sharing Issue

CW is an only child, but he is a special only child. You see...he is the first grandchild on both sides of the family. He is spoiled rotten by ALL family members and friends. It also doesn't help that he has an adorable smile and knows how to use it for good and evil. Big CW's brother calls him the "Golden Child." He says this because he refers to Big CW as the "Original Golden Child". I hate to say it, but I think he is right.


CW doesn't like to share. He is becoming more and more selfish every day. I acknowledge the fact that he has everything he wants. I mean...if you have ever seen his room you would think that you are at a playground. He has everything a 3, 4, 5, 6  and 7 year old would want. The bad part: he knows that all of his toys belongs to HIM and ONLY HIM. Yes, my son doesn't like to share at all. So my question is: How do I get him to share?


Last Thursday, CW had a semi-altercation in the gym daycare. He refused to give up the Mario Cart video game to a girl who was three or four years older than him. My son (a three year old) was so persistent in playing that finally the little girl gave up. This was after my son pushes her out the way repeatedly of course. CW was reprimanded by both parents and had to apologize, but the sharing is still an ongoing issue We discuss why it is important to share and why you should share. Every time he does share (which isn't often) we encourage the behavior, but it never lasts long.

See, as a teacher it is easy to make kids share. You give them a few options. Option One: Share, so both can continue to play. Option Two: Timeout until you are willing to share. Option Three: The object is taken away from the both of them. Normally they choose Option One. But NOPE...that doesn't work for my son. He rather go to timeout and devise a plan to get what he wants OR he rather have the toy taken away from both parties. WHAT NORMAL CHILD DOES THAT? I just don't have an answer.


We, as his parents will continue to encourage sharing and giving him positive encouragement when he does share. Hopefully, sooner or later it will pay off. At least I know my son will always keep up with his belongings. He will tell you in a second if someone has something that belongs to him.









No comments:

Post a Comment